Context/Contenido

All the post published on this blog are cases either diagnosed, treated or attended by me, surgeries I performed myself or they are based on my experiences through my years working as a vet. The photos have also be done by me, unless it is told otherwise.
Todas las entradas mostradas en este blog son casos que atendí, cirugías que hice o están basados en mi experiencia de mis años como veterinaria. Las fotos también han sido hechas por mi, a menos que se diga su procedencia.

Sunday 4 March 2012

Seagull with a broken wing/gaviota con ala rota


Walking on the beach I found strange that a seagull was not running away from me, when I noticed one of her wings was broken. I took her home, has a cage ready with some food and water. She drank a bit, but didn't want any food.

Caminando por la playa encuentro extraño que una gaviota no huya de mi, cuando me doy cuenta que una de sus alas está rota. La llevo a casa, le preparo una jaula con comida y agua. Bebió un poco, pero no quiso
comer.

After letting her rest and finding out her anaestesic, antibiotic and painkiller amount, I had a proper look at that wing. All the bones seemed ok, but the joint wasn't. The ligaments were broken, therefore the bones were moved. It was also very swollen and infected. I decided to cut it, remove the infected skin and dead tissues, and have her with me for several days under treatmet until she is fine.

Tras dejarla descansar y averiguar la cantidad de anestesia, antibiótico y analgésico que necesita, le echo un vistazo en condiciones al ala. Todos los huesos parecían bien, pero la articulación no. Los ligamentos estaban rotos, por lo tanto los huesos se habían desplazado. También estaba muy hinchada e infectada. Opto por amputarla, eliminar el tejido muerto, y quedármela unos días con tratamiento hasta que esté bien.


First of all I cut the other wing's feather, because once she were awake she would try to fly and with such long wing she wouldn't walk so well as if it were shorter.

After this feather clip I cleaned the wound and star opening it, in my last attempt to repair the joint. Too messy and infected.

Lo primero que hice fué cortar las plumas del ala buena, porque una vez que esté despierta querrá volar, y con ese ala tan larga no podrá andar tan bien como si se la corto. Tras el corte de plumas, limpié la herida y empecé a abrirla, en mi último intento de arreglar la articulación. Demasiado enrevesada e infectada.

IMAGES OF THE SURGERY

Amputating extremities have no secret or special difficulty. The skin was much thinner than those of dogs and cats I'm used to. And the "root" of the feathers I had cut were making more difficult sewing the skin.

Amputar extremidades no tiene secreto o dificultad especial. La piel era mucho más fina que la de perros y gatos a las que estoy acostumbrada. Y las "raices" de las plumas que tuve que cortar hacían más difícil coser la piel.




Now I just needed to keep her in her cage until she eats and drinks on her own, and wishes to have more room. I live in a flat, and prepared the terrace for her, with the floor covered in newspaper, a "fake-sea", towels, and took away my pots and plants.

Ahora sólo necesitaba tenerla en su jaula hasta que comiese y bebiese por sí sola, y quisera tener más espacio. Vivo en un piso, y preparé la terraza para ella, con el suelo cubierto de periódico, un "falso mar", toallas, y quité mis macetas y plantas.

One day she was ready to go and I was fed up with her dirtying my house and poking me. Nobody wanted to care for a seagull, it's comprenhensible. I though of leaving her at one of the beaches in Maro-Cerro Gordo. In fact, a sunny Sunday morning my partner and I were driving towards the place when a wheel punctured. Back at home again the best place it ocurred to me was a big living park 50kms from my home, in Benalmadena, called "dove's park". I thought that between gooses, ducks, parrots, hens, goats, oostriches, storks, turtles, fishes, rabbits, etc she wouldn't get bored.

Un día ya estaba lista para irse, y yo estaba harta de su suciedad y que me picara. Nadie quería cuidar una gaviota, es comprensible. Pensé dejarla en una de las calas de Maro-Cerro Gordo. De hecho, un soleado domingo por la mañana mi pareja y yo íbamos allí cuando reventó una rueda.. De vuelta a casa el mejor sitio que se me ocurrió era un gran parque muy vivo a 50kms de mi casa, en Benalmádena, llamado "parque de las palomas". Pensé que entre gansos, ocas, patos, loros, cabras, avestruces, tortugas, peces, conejos, etc, no se aburriría.


Good luck, chick! I cannot do anymore for you.
¡Buena suerte, chica! no puedo hacer más por ti.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/11/2012

    quiero saber que le hago a mi gaviota tinee hinchada la parte de ala que le queda

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¿Me puedes escribir a veterisilvia@gmail.com y hablamos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the successful surgery and rehabilitation! Have you ever seen her again?

    ReplyDelete